Ad Blocker Detected
Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
My mom has made Cheese Straws forever. It’s one of my favorite recipes that I have always loved, but they aren’t easy to make because you have to use a cookie press, which is just too much work for this busy momma of 4. Last year she made Cheese Wafers, a similar but easier version of Cheese Straws, and brought them to our house when we celebrated Christmas together. We loved them so much, we made several batches over the next few weeks. Thus, when the Christmas Season began to approach, I started experimenting with a keto/low carb version of Cheese Wafers. The first batch turned out flat as a flitter and the dough just crumbled after they cooked. The second, third and fourth batch turned out much the same. I had almost given up when I decided to try one last time. I’m so glad I did because batch number five turned out perfect!! The biggest change I made was altering the amount of coconut flour and adding Xanthan Gum. I am so excited about this recipe because they have always been a staple at our house at Christmas in one form or another…
Ingredients [ For 34 to 35 people ] [ Preparation time : 12 minute – Cooking time : 55 minutes ]
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 oz sharp cheese grated
- 1 stick of butter softened
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 30 whole pecans
- 1/4 tsp Xanthan Gum
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cover cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl combine the coconut flour, baking powder, and Xanthan Gum then set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl combine cheese, butter, paprika, and cayenne pepper and beat with a mixer until thoroughly combined.
- Add egg and egg white and beat again until combined.
- Add the flour mixture and chopped pecans to the other ingredients then beat with a mixer on low/medium until sticky soft dough forms.
- Refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
- Use a small cookie scoop to scoop out the cheese wafers onto parchment paper.
- Spray a fork with cooking spray and make a criss-cross on top of each cookie to press the dough down a little.
- Place a whole pecan on the top of each wafer.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until the cheese wafers begin to brown.